Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Poem I wrote when Dad Died

FARWELL DAD

(My Dad – Jan Jantzen)

My father was a Master Chef and worked into his prime
He worked hard everyday and night and he was always on time
He walked to work in weather both foul and both fair
He worked long into his fulfilled life until he had white hair

My dad would stand all day and night in front of a hot flaming stove
With pots and pans and food galore,
Thrown around a creation was wove

Bellows could be heard by dad from the kitchen far and near
“Get out of my bloody kitchen – Can’t you see I’m in top gear”?
Flames from the stove produced beads of sweat
But not once did he ever voice any regrets

Into his pan he would create his famous master piece
Then add a bit of this and that which went down like a treat
Then on the plate he would then create this unbelievable dish
This man-made creation right from his hand
Revealed creations so so lavish

He made meals for the public to line up to eat
And every night for us, this was a treat
He also made meals for his family – 3 meal courses
He made meals for all our childhood friends
He made meals that could feed 100 horses

My father raised 2 kids
He shaped them too as the food he did
He moulded them to be generous and kind
Tempered by his love and by his design

He instilled in them a sense of right and wrong
He prepared them for the life ahead and to be strong
He gave to each of them whatever it was that he had
And made them proud that he was their dad

My father worked until the night he fell asleep
And then silence engulfed our little Yamba town - we all wept
The banging and crashing we all got to know so well
Had stopped inside his kitchen
But since I am my father’s daughter, time will only tell!

Give 'em a hug, a great big kiss.
Because one day, he will be greatly missed.

Now I will have to look up at the stars and
say, "I love you, Daddy, more and more each day
For if you keep these moments, you will never be apart
And my daddy will live forever locked safe within my heart.


By Jessica Jantzen