Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A tribute to my Uncle Kelvin - with a Poem at the end

My Uncle Kelvin was a character; he had many a personalities that I remember growing up. Here are some of the fondest memories I have of my Uncle:

I was around 7 or 8 and my dad lifted me up onto our dining room table at our house at Roberts Creek Brushgrove.. As mum wanted to do my hair. Our Christmas tree was up all sparkly and we were on our way to Calliope to celebrate Christmas with our Aunty Mary, Uncle Kelvin and my three cousins, Leanne, Lisa and Susan. My god I can still feel the excitement I had right now, I remember my legs swinging under the table and me singing’ Goodie, Goodie Gum Drops, Goodie Goodie

Gum Drops. I was going to play and have fun with my cousins and I was going to play with Bracken the dog. Aunty Mary would pamper me and give me loads of hugs and kisses, and then there was Uncle Kelvin, who I loved getting a big hug from but at the same time he scared me. He was a big man compared to my dad, a deep strong voice and whenever he used it I would get scared, but never tell anyone or show it, but then he would go about whatever he was doing and I would smile and carry on again.

I remember mostly the word SUUUSSSANNNNNNNN!!!! Coming from him. It was just Uncle Kelvin. I use to watch him take photos and be in awe of this and wished I was just like him taking the photos. It was something that really grabbed me from an early age. I remember being so proud that he would take photos for the Grafton Daily Examiner and his name would be attached, and while I was at St Marys College, I would make a point to say “That’s my Uncle who took those”! I was also proud to say that “My Uncle worked and the Grafton Brewery and was management”.

Christmas time was always my favourite time, with everyone laughing and carrying on, yelling over top of one another, then Uncle Kelvin would put on his Country and Western Music. That’s right my Christmas were full of Country and Western Music, not Frosty the Snow man or jingle bells. This I loved! I love different.

I’d ask him questions and he would happily answer them but I knew when he was finished – a short fuse I think and I always had that bit of “I’m a little scared” still inside of me as I grew older.

It was Uncle Kelvin who got me into loving taking photographs which I thank him for this today. What you can capture in one second, you can hold onto a lifetime...

I was also bought up with stuffed animals peering out at me from the walls! Deer’s were my favourites. I would sneak a pat looking very wearily as I was waiting for Uncle Kelvin to jump and yell “Don’t you bloody well touch that” and make me fall to the ground trembling. But I got away with it.

Uncle Kelvin was a strong man, and he has not gone too far, his spirit is here with us every day, it’s just the body that dies, not his spirit.

Look into your heart and be honest about all the people in your past who have harmed you in any way. Where there is pain, practice pardon. Forgiveness is the very foundation of spiritual awakening. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

My Poem

My dear Uncle Kelvin can't you see?
I'm not the little niece you remember me to be
I am now 40 years of age with a family of my own
But just always remember that you will never be alone

My Uncle Kelvin he was loud, and by god was he proud
He also had a strong personality
Which really stood out in a crowd

He also had his soft spots too
I witnessed with his children
They hugged and kissed and played with him
And he also loved his grandchildren

I will always remember our arguments
Our feuds, even our different points of views
There is one thing that I know will never change
Is the love I had for you

I hope that you can hear me
And even if you can't
I want you to know
You're always in my heart.

God bless,goodnight and sweet dreams Uncle Kelvin
Love your neice Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment